Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Fiddlin'


I met famous Joel Bremer, Swedish fiddler extraordinaire last night, which was pretty exciting. He was playing with The Bitter Spills for Cyn Collins' 2nd Tuesday program at the 501 club.

I asked Joel what the difference is between a fiddler and a violin player. "The air," he replied. There's more breath, more empty space, I guess when a fiddler plays his/her instrument.

I played the violin for a number of years, but never considered myself a fiddler. There's something so loose, so confident, so free about fiddle music. I was always very intimidated by it. I felt a lot safer with Bach. I think in order to be a fiddle player you have to have no fear, and when you listen to Joel play, he clearly has none.

He very kindly let me have a copy of his solo CD, and I've been listening to it in the car. It transports me to a place of green grass and running water. The playing is skillful, and complex, but also has an extemporaneous quality and a playfulness that is strangely peaceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment