Sunday, March 15, 2015

Update

Well, it's sort of embarrassing how long it's been since I've posted here. I guess I just get so caught up writing for my living that I've neglected writing for pleasure. Let's see- a quick update about creative comings and goings since December of 2013:

Last spring I had a great part in my friend Jeff's play that we did at the People's Center. I was this mermaid sea creature thing and I got to wear a fantabulous outfit and a wig. Then last summer I did a Fringe show with my friend Jayne. It was based on her life and we used song lyrics as the main text. It was rather sparsely attended but it was fun to hang out with Jayne and do the whole Fringe thing.

I also did a piece last year around January/February that was about desire and pleasure, also with my friend Jeff, that we did at the Ritz. It was hard, honestly. Making new work is such a bitch.

This past fall, I was in a couple of films (oh, also I did one last spring too) and I really enjoy doing that. I think at some point Alex will finish his feature too. Oh! And The System finally got finished and it was fun to watch it on the big screen last year at the Minneapolis St. Paul International Film Festival.

Sorry about using first names only- trying to make this blog not super google-able, but I'm not sure how well that's working. It's not that I'm trying to keep it secret, just slightly under the radar.

There are a couple of projects that I've been wanting to work on. One is a play about a high school production of A Handmaid's Tale. Unfortunately, once I got the idea, a couple people in my life told me it was a stupid idea, and that really discouraged me from pursuing it. I know that's probably just an excuse.

Also, my friend May encouraged me to revisit Goodlife Pharmacom this next summer when she's in town. Unfortunately I missed the deadline for the Fringe, but maybe we can make it happen anyway. Actually, I have this idea that it could be a film. Maybe I could use some of the plot details that I had originally come up with when I was first talking about it with Rakel. We'll see.

The main reason I'm checking in now is that I'm off to Italy, so I'm hoping to write about that experience. If I had been smart I would have found someplace that would pay me to write something, but I didn't have it together enough to do that. So maybe I'll try to do it afterwards or just have it exist here.

Speaking of my writing career, that's been going pretty well. I'm back to doing dance reviews for the Strib, I've done a couple pieces for the national publication Hyperallergic, I'm writing for The Good Age and have been writing a lot for Classical MPR. I also continue to write for City Pages, MN Artists, Vita.mn and TC Daily Planet, outside of my teaching work, which has also been full. Suffice to say I've been very busy but still always broke! I'm very excited to mostly not have anything to do for the next week.

I'm traveling with my Dad. We're flying into Rome and then driving to a little town outside of Naples. We'll stay there for a few days then meet my mom up in Rome. I'll fly back on Sunday. So excited! More soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment