Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Dystopia Play, thinking about Aaron Swartz

Benn thinking more about Aaron Swartz, and did a lot of reading last night. Incredibly intriguing story, especially about how his girlfriend at the time accidentally told the prosecutors about his Guerilla Open Access Manifesto (which was actually on his blog- weird they had never read it). Also, a very good piece in The New Yorker about how he had actually moved on from the idea of Open Access, so it's unclear what he actually planned to do with the downloaded articles. She really drives the point home that he really had some mental/emotional problems that were underlying causes of his suicide. The Open Access Manifesto is a great piece of writing, and I'm thinking about drawing from it for this theater piece I'm creating, as well as this idea of the martyr who fights against the system (even if it's arguable whether Swartz was really a martyr.) The good thing about making a play that's a dystopia, in the future, is that you don't have to be limited by "facts", but rather you're just exploring the idea of something, carried out to the nth degree. I'm interested in looking at this idea that we don't actually know the information- whatever it is- be it news, science, thought- because it's not available to us, and in my dystopia, people are so caught up with the vapid cultural spew that gets fed to them, they don't know what they are missing. I think of an Aaron Swartz type character who tries to call out against this, but is ultimately killed. Maybe it's made to look like a suicide. Of course than I just get all wrapped up into narrative again. Always narrative! I'm so tied to story. It's hard to loose myself from its clutches. Anyway, here are some of the things I was reading: Aaron Swartz's Guerilla Open Access Manifesto: http://archive.org/stream/GuerillaOpenAccessManifesto/Goamjuly2008_djvu.txt Article by Quinn Norton, Aaron Swartz's partner: http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/03/life-inside-the-aaron-swartz-investigation/273654/ New Yorker piece: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/03/11/130311fa_fact_macfarquhar?currentPage=2 And I want to check out this film: The documentary: Shadows of Liberty. I believe it's being played on Direct TV on June 21 on channel 375 at 5 p.m?: http://shadowsofliberty.org/the-film/ Also news, I talked to Maggie about maybe being a part of this. So if she joins, we have Rakel, Maggie, Romina and May, though Romina can't actually be in it. Need some more people, especially guys, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment