Thursday, May 23, 2013

Thank you for Not Smoking

Per Lisa's suggestion, I checked out Thank You for Smoking. Well, unfortunately, it wasn't on Netflix or Hulu, so I had to watch just clips of it on Netflix. The reason I like this as source material for the work is that it gets at the kind of backwards logic that I'd like to explore coming from Good Life Corporation. One particular passage comes in a scene between Aaron Eckhart and his son. He takes his son (who lives with his mom) on a trip to California and explains to him about his job a lobbyist for the cigarette industry. As an example, he says they should have an argument about vanilla ice cream vs. chocolate ice cream. The son tries to find arguments about why chocolate is better, but Eckhart says that both flavors are good, and people should have the freedom to choose whichever they feel like on a particular day. "But you didn't convince me," the son says. "I didn't have to," says the dad. "I proved that you're wrong and I'm write." This totally reminds me of the conversation that I had with Ricardo about people like Katherine Kersten and Rush Limbaugh, who seemingly contradictory arguments are actually not contradictory at all - they are all about destroying the enemy at all costs. Here's the clip- it also has a great scene with Rob Lowe at the Hollywood empire: Here's the main character arguing his case in front of the Senate Committee. It made me think about the NRA lobby:

No comments:

Post a Comment